Home comfort food, there is nothing better sometimes than a big bowl of a warming hearty stew. This was absolutely delicious and so filling.
Low calorie Spray oil
1 red onion chopped
1 tsp garlic granules or 1 clove crushed
1 red chilli (chopped) or 1 tsp crushed chillies
225g can of red kidney beans
225g can of cannellini beans
225g can of chickpeas
1 tbsp tomato paste
350ml vegetable stock
1 red pepper, chopped
225g can chopped tomatoes
90g fresh broad beans
1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
paprika to garnish
Soured cream to serve
- Heat the oil in a fry pan and add the onion, garlic & chilli and fry until softened.
- Add the kidney beans, cannellini beans, chickpeas and tomato paste and stir through.
- Pour over the stock and bring to the boil, reduce and simmer for about 15 minutes. Then add in the pepper, tomatoes and broad beans.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for about 20 minutes until vegetables are tender. Add in 3/4 of the coriander and mix through.
- Serve into bowl and top with 1 tbsp sourced cream, sprinkle over some paprika and remaining coriander.
Oh this was rather tasty too, another recipe spied on the Eating well website. Again I slightly adjusted flavour to my own liking & this was very filling and healthy.
2 Chicken Breasts
1 can 400g cannellini beans – drained
400ml chicken stock
1 white onion – sliced
1 carrot – sliced
1 yellow pepper – sliced
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp Italian Herbs mix (thyme, basil, oregano,red bell pepper, marjoram, sage, parsley)
1 tbsp lemon juice
Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a little oil in a large pan and gently fry the onions and pepper
- Add the chicken breasts and brown all over for a few minutes.
- Add in the beans, chicken stock, seasoning, rosemary, italian herbs and mix, bring to the boil then reduce to a very low simmer. Simmer with lid on for about 4-5 hours.
- 1/2 hour before serving take 2 forks and shred the chicken, next add in the kale and continue to simmer.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice into pan mix then serve with some lovely fresh bread.
Decided to try different beans in my chilli (as that’s what I had in cupboard…lol!), yummy alternative.
Serves 2 (422 cal per serving, 9g fat, 2g sat fat, 1.6g salt, 27g carbs)
2 x chicken breasts ( cubed )
1 tbsp olive oil or spray oil
1 large white onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp of cumin
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp chilli powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 x 400g chopped tomatoes
1 x 150-200g tin cannellini beans
2 tbsp fat free Greek yoghurt (optional)
2 spring onions, chopped
1. Heat oil in saucepan and fry the onion and garlic until slightly browned
2. Add the cumin, paprika, chilli and oregano and stir through for 1 min.
3. Add in the chopped chicken and stir for about 5-10 mins making sure the chicken is covered in the spices and beginning to cook through.
4. Add in the chopped tomatoes and simmer for about 20 mins until sauce thickens.
5. Add in the cannellini beans and heat through for about 5 minutes.
6. Taste, season and serve with a dollop of yoghurt and sprinkle chopped spring onions.