Oh yum! Today was absolutely stoating it down (heavy rain) and very Dreich (dull, moody) weather, so it was a warming pasta bake for dinner. Not only is pasta filling but this dish is simple and easy to make, great for a family meal or just when you are looking for something comforting to warm you up. The recipe uses a lot of store cupboard essentials so easy to put together.
Serves 2 large portions (or 4 small)
100g Wholewheat Pasta (again your choice, I used Fusilli)
2 Chicken Breasts
1 onion – chopped
1 red pepper – chopped
1 Garlic clove – crushed or 1 tsp ground granules
1 tsp dried Italian herbs or Oregano
200g Chopped tomatoes
200ml Chicken Stock
100ml Milk (or cream)
Handful of Spinach leaves, chopped
Handful of frozen peas
100g Grated Cheese (I used cheddar)
1 tsp Chilli flakes (optional, if you like it spicy)
1 tsp Paprika (for sprinkling on top)
80g Chopped Chorizo
Salt & Pepper
- Heat a little oil in a fry pan and preheat your oven to 190 deg fan.
- Brown the onions & red pepper with the garlic in the fry pan until softened, add in the chorizo and cook for a few minutes then add the chicken, season & brown chicken on all sides for a few minutes.
- Once browned, add in the chopped tomatoes, chicken stock, milk, herbs and chilli (if using) to the pan and mix through, bring to the boil and reduce to a low simmer, cover and cook for at least an 1 hr.
- Meanwhile cook your pasta as per packet instructions.
- Using 2 forks, remove the lid from the pan and shred your chicken breasts (if you prefer chunks, that’s fine but I like it shredded)
- Add in the frozen peas and Spinach and cook for a further few minutes.
- Drain your pasta and add to the pan and mix through.
- Now decant the pasta chicken into an ovenproof dish and grate the cheese on top with a sprinkle of paprika and salt & pepper to season.
- Bake on middle shelf for about 25 minutes. Serve. Yum!