This was a recipe I put together trying to use up leftovers in my fridge. It was absolutely delicious, if I do say so myself. Next time, I would probably use 2 less filo sheets though and maybe omit the panko breadcrumbs.
Makes 1 roll (about 8 slices)
6-8 filo sheets
1/2 a large white cabbage – finely sliced
1 carrot – shredded
2-3 orange sweet peppers – finely sliced
60g chopped chorizo
small handful of panko breadcrumbs
Salt & rainbow pepper to taste
1 tbsp butter – melted
1 tbsp dried onion granules
- Preheat your oven to 190 deg. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Heat a little spray oil in a pan on medium to high heat and add in the onion granules, cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add in the cabbage, peppers and carrot and stir through for about 10 minutes.
- Then add in the chorizo and continue to cook for about 5 minutes or until everything is softened and slightly browned. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, unroll the filo pastry and with the melted butter brush lightly on 1 filo then sprinkle some panko breadcrumbs, then lay another filo sheet onto, then brush with butter, then sprinkle some breadcrumbs over, then another filo sheet on top and so on and on until you have used all the sheets.
- Take the cooled cabbage mixture and place in the middle of the sheets, leave about a 2″ border all the way and brush with melted butter.
- Take the 2 short ends and fold into the mixture
- Then gently roll up the filo pastry, place onto the baking tray and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Remove, slice and enjoy. (Beware, it is very crumbly..lol)