I really was looking for something different for breakfasts this week but I’m also in a rush to get out the door in the mornings, so I decided to make some crepe batter the night before and keep in the fridge. Just a quick 1 minute cook in the morning and there you go, super quick breakfast. I decided to have a poached egg this morning, but you could spread with jam or stuff with spinach and ham also.
These ones were savoury, but you can easily change to sweet by adding more sugar.
This mixture made 4
50g Plain Flour
200ml milk – I used skimmed to keep the calories down
1 large egg
Spray light oil
1 tsp sugar for savoury (2 tbsp for sweet)
1 tbsp butter – melted.
- Whisk the milk & eggs in a bowl/jug, then melt 1 tbsp of butter and add to milk.
- Place the flour, salt & sugar in a bowl and pour 1/2 the milk mixture into the flour and mix, then slowly add in the rest of the milk mixture. Do not over whisk, I used a hand whisk for this.
- Leave overnight in a fridge or for at least 30 minutes. Your batter should be watery.
- Heat up some spray oil in a small fry pan (about 8″ dia) or brush on some melted butter, turn to a medium to high heat
- Stir the batter first then take a soup ladle and pour some of the mixture into the pan off the heat and swirl around, put back on heat and cook for about 30 seconds, when you start to see the edges cook and slightly bubble flip over the other side and cook for a further 30 seconds. Remove to a plate.
- Serve. Yum!