This soup is always best served a day old, I make a big pot that does 3 days and it’s still yummy on Day 3. (approx 150 calories a bowl)
This was my Grans Recipe and I’ve used it all my life.
250g Great Scot Vegetable Broth, which gave me 10 bowls (soak for at least 8-12 hours)
4 x carrots – grated
1 x leek – chopped finely
1 x turnip – grated
small bite size chunks of potato (choose potatoes suitable for boiling) amount as per your liking. (I used 6 small boiling potatoes)
3 x vegetable stock cubes
3 litres water
Salt and pepper to season
1. Fill up a large soup pot with the water
2. Pour in the pre – soaked broth lentils and put in vegetable stock cubes (no need to dissolve before, put them in whole)
3. Bring to the boil, while waiting for water to boil, put in the grated carrot, turnip and leeks and mix through
4. Season with salt & pepper
5. Once boiled reduce heat to a simmer for 40 minutes.
6. Serve with some yummy bread.