I love Lentils, filling, tasty and full of goodness. It has to be the Great Scot lentils though, they are just the best.
Makes approx 6 bowls – per serving about 85 calories.
200g Split Red Lentils (Great Scots)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 white onion – chopped
3 carrots – chopped
5 celery sticks – chopped
1 small potato – cubed
4/5 smoked back bacon – chopped
2.5 pints water
1 vegetable stock cube (knorr)
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1. pour oil into soup pan and heat through
2. Add in bacon and fry until juice runs, then add in onion and fry for another 2 mins
3. Add in carrot, celery, potatoes and lentils and stir for further 2 mins
4. Add in veg stock cube and parsley then top with water, and season.
5. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer for 40 mins.
6. With a hand blender or masher mix until smooth or until desired consistency
7. Serve with some warm crusty bread.