This is a great mid week dinner, super quick and easy (if you have prepared paste before hand). I had to use up some leftover vegetables in my fridge, and I had stored some coloured pasta I made a few weeks ago. So super easy and super quick.
Pasta of your choice
200g Baby Spinach
150g Cherry tomatoes, chopped
150g Mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp dried garlic (or 2 cloves if you have fresh)
1 tsp smoked paprika
Pinch of chilli flakes
2 tbsp tomato puree
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cook pasta as per packet instructions, or if fresh, 2 minutes in simmering salted water.
- Meanwhile, brown the mushrooms then add in the tomatoes, cook until slightly softened.
- Add in the garlic, paprika, cayenne, chilli, tomato puree and stir through. Then add in the Spinach and cover to allow to wilt down (about 1 minute).
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce mix and stir until coated. Serve.
I served this little dish with my Moroccan Spiced Cauliflower as a tapas style dinner. These were so yummy and the sauce was rich with a little bit of sweetness.
Makes 8 Meatballs
200g scottish beef mince
30g panko breadcrumbs
handful chopped coriander
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried coriander
1/2 tsp minced ginger
225g tin chopped tomatoes
150ml beef stock
1 red onion – finely sliced
- Place everything in a bowl and mix. Shape into 1″ balls and chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Heat up a fry pan with spray oil and cook meatballs until browned all over.
- Add in the onions a cook until softened and slightly browned.
- Add in the tomatoes and beef stock, bring to the boil then simmer medium heat until sauce starts to thicken, about 15-20 minutes. serve.
My spicy meatballs with spaghetti Serves 2
For the Meatballs:-
300g Scottish steak mince
1 red onion finely chopped
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Garlic
Salt & Pepper
For the Sauce:-
100 g Water
Basil, Handful chopped
1 tbsp. Garlic
1 tbsp Tomato puree
1 tsp caster sugar
Few drops of Tobasco or more I you like it really spicy
1. Mix all the Meatball ingredients together to form a ball, then break up into small meatball size portions. I got 14.
2. Brown meatballs in a frying pan until cooked all over.
3. Meanwhile cook pasta as per instructions.
4. Add all the sauce ingredients into the same pan as the meatballs and stir through, heat on a high heat but not boiling for about 10 mins.
5. Dish up and serve with some parmesan cheese on top and a wee glass of vino. Yummy!
My take on my favourite Sweet & Sour Chicken from my Chinese Takeaway.
Makes 2 – approx 450 calories with rice.
2 x chicken Breasts – cubed
50g per person of chosen rice (I had long grain and wild rice)
1 red, green, yellow peppers – chopped
1 handful of garden peas (optional)
2 spring onions – chopped finely
FOR THE SAUCE
50 g brown sugar
2 oz Malt Vinegar
6 oz/150g Tomato Sauce (Ketchup) has to be Heinz
1 small tin pineapple chunks
1 tbsp light soy sauce
(remember 1 part sugar, 1 part vinegar to 3 parts sauce/ketchup)
1. Brown off chicken in pan with light spray oil and cook through for about 10 mins
2. Add peppers to pan and cook for further 10 mins, throw in peas and spring onions and heat through for 5 mins.
3. Meanwhile combine all ingredients for sauce and bring to a simmer for 5 mins. If you need to thicken the sauce more put tbsp of cornflour or flour in.
4. Put chicken mix into a bowl or plate and pour sauce over….yummy.
Slow Cook Chilli Chicken (serves 2-3)
1 small tin (250g) red kidney beans
1 small tin (250g) of chopped tin tomatoes
1/2 packet of original Taco seasoning Mix
2 tablespoons of chilli powder (more or less can be added to personal taste)
1 chopped red onion
1 tablespoon of tomato sauce
2 x chicken breasts
1. Drain beans
2. Combine beans, onion, tomatoes, chilli powder, tomato sauce, and taco seasoning in a casserole dish and mix
3. Place whole chicken breast on top and cover with lid
4. Set oven to Multilevel and 90 deg C or use Slow Cook Meat in Intelligent settings and cook for approx 6 hours
5. 1/2 before serving take out breast and cut into chunks, return to dish, stir through and continue to cook.
6. You can top with sour cream, cheese, tortillas or have it with rice…..it’s your preference.