I was inspired to make this by a recipe posted to Instagram from @theweelarder https://www.instagram.com/theweelarder/?hl=en. As I didn’t have the Tomato Chutney, I decided to use caramelised red onions as I just made a batch from my garden, this dish was so delicious and the sweet flavour from the onions went perfectly with the salmon.
This dish is perfect for these long summer days especially when served with a fresh salad. Can be eaten warm or cold.
For the Pastry:-
250g Plain Flour
100g Cold Butter
For the Filling:-
2 pieces of Fresh Salmon or 250g Pre-packed Smoked Salmon, flaked
4 Tbsp of Caramelised Onion (see here for my homemade recipe https://theweecaledoniancook.com/?p=9446 )
1 large Cooked Beetroot, chopped into small bite size pieces
Handful of finely chopped Spinach (uncooked)
4 Large Eggs
80ml of Single Cream
2 Tbsp Chopped Dill
Seasoning, Salt & Pepper
- To make the Pastry, Sift the plain flour into a bowl and add the butter cubes and salt, with your fingers rub butter into flour to form breadcrumbs. Add 2 tbsp water and bring to together to make a stiff dough. Cover in cling film and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Once pastry is ready, bring to room temperature and roll out onto a floured surface and lay over your quiche tin pressing the pastry to the sides, trim off any excess. Place a piece of greaseproof paper over the pastry and pour in some baking beads to weigh down.
- Preheat your oven to 180 deg fan and place pastry in oven for about 15 minutes. Remove the beads and paper, brush the pastry with some egg wash then return the pastry to the oven and bake for a further 5 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
- Whisk up the eggs with the cream & the milk.
- Sprinkle some flaked salmon into your pastry case then some spinach then another layer of salmon then spinach and finally the caramelised onion, pour over the egg mixture evenly, season with salt, pepper & dill then dot pieces of the beetroot over.
- Place into a preheated oven at 170 deg fan for 30 minutes.
- Slice & serve….Yummy!