The weather was turning a bit colder this weekend & there is no better dish than a warm chilli to heat your soul. I decided to slow cook this time and it definitely paid off as the flavours were more intense and the sauce lovely and thick. Chilli is always good the second day too, so this can be made in advance. Some cooks swear by lots of different spices from mustard powder to even cinnamon & I’ve even heard of chocolate in chilli…..(not sure about than one…lol), this combination I found works for me.
250-300g Scottish Beef Mince
1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
1 Red Onion – Diced
1 Red Pepper – Diced
1 Garlic Clove – crushed (or 1 tsp garlic granules)
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
Salt & Black pepper to taste
1 tsp Herb mix (oregano, basil, coriander)
1 x 225g kidney beans
1 x 400g chopped tin tomatoes
1 Beef oxo cube
- Heat the oil in a casserole dish or large pan on medium to high heat & fry the onions with the garlic until softened. Add in the Red pepper and cook for a further few minutes until softened.
- Add in the Beef mince, season and brown.
- Add in the tomato puree, spices & mix through.
- To the pot add the kidney beans and tin tomatoes & mix. Sprinkle over the beef oxo cube & the herbs, add in the water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer on a low heat for about 2-3 hours. If the sauce hasn’t thickened, remove lid and cook uncovered for about 10-15 minutes to help thicken sauce.
- I Served with Taco’s, Grated Cheese and sprinkled some fresh spring onions on top…yum! Also nice served with rice and soured cream.