Oh yum, this little dish was delicious! Looking to be more healthier this year, so I decided on a veggie pie rather than meat. Super delicious and filling too.
1 onion, finely chopped
3 carrots, finely chopped
2 celery sticks, finely chopped
2 tsp tomato purée
3 tsp plain flour, 1 tsp thyme
Vegetable stock pot, made up to 200ml
2 x 400g tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 x 400g tin adzuki beans
1kg Potatoes peeled and halved
75g mature Cheddar, grated
1 tbsp English mustard
- To cook the Soffrito (A soffrito is a flavourful mix of diced onion, carrot and celery gently fried in oil. It forms the basis of many dishes, including soups, stews and sauces. Add chopped garlic or herbs for even more flavour, if you like.) Heat a little oil in a pan and cook the celery, onion & carrot for a few minutes.
- Cut a piece of baking paper the same diameter as your pan and lay on top of the veg, cook for a further 10 mins. ( The circle of baking paper helps to keep the vegetables moist and retain their flavour as they cook. It’s also useful when cooking the base of curries, soups and stews, but you can do without if you don’t have baking paper.)
- Add the tomato puree and stir through the add the flour and combine.
- Pour in the stock, beans & thyme and bring to the boil then reduce and simmer for about 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer to an oven proof dish and allow to cool. Preheat your oven to 170deg fan.
- Meanwhile, to make the rarebit mash:- Boil the potatoes until tender and mash.
- Stir in 75ml milk & 25g butter
- In a separate bowl mix the 75g grated cheese and mustard together. Slowly stir in the 75ml milk, until smooth.
- Stir in the cheese mixture to your potatoes.
- Spoon the mash over the pie mixture evenly. Note: (The bean mixture should have formed a thin skin while cooling. Don’t stir it before adding the mash because this helps keep the layers separate while the pie bakes).
- Sprinkle with some thyme and bake for about 30-40 minutes until golden brown. I have a browning setting on my oven and its great for things like this.