Oh yum. I’ve not had a scone in a while, so looking in my cupboards I had some Walnuts & Cranberries to use up and decided to give it a try. These were absolutely delicious, served with a good quality butter they were perfect with a cuppa. Lovely little afternoon tea scone.
100g Light Brown Sugar (or white caster sugar) (plus 1 tbsp)
2 tbsp lemon juice
300g Plain Flour
1 tbsp baking powder
Freshly grated lemon zest – 1 lemon
1 tsp salt
75g unsalted butter
50g dried cranberries
50g chopped walnuts
50ml Double cream
- Preheat your oven to 190 deg. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix 1 tbsp sugar & 1 tbsp lemon juice together in a dish and set aside, this will be for the glaze.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, lemon zest, salt, and sugar in large bowl. Add chilled butter & using fingertips, rub in until you get breadcrumb like mixture.
- Mix in cranberries and walnuts. Then add in the milk & cream and mix through 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Toss with fork or hands until dough comes together in moist clumps.
- Floured a work surface and roll out till about 1 inch thick. Using a cutter (about 7-8cm diameter) cut out 6 servings and place onto your baking sheet. Using the glaze brush lightly over the scones. Bake for about 18 minutes. Or until a knife comes out clean and slightly browned
- Serve with some butter. Yummy!