O.M.G! This little dish was delicious, rich and very tasty. Saw this on a social media video, my salavating at the video simply meant I had to give it a go. Changed the recipe slightly to suit our tastes.
Makes for 2
2 sirloin steaks – sliced into 1cm strips
2 tbsp plain flour
Salt & pepper to taste
1 large red onion
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 tsp chilli flakes
200ml beef stock
100ml red wine (I used shiraz)
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 large handfuls of grated cheddar
2 large handfuls of french fries
- Heat a little oil in a fry pan to a medium to high heat
- Place the steak strips into the pan and brown all over, add the flour, salt & pepper until coated and soaked up the juices then remove and set aside.
- Place another tbsp of oil in the pan and cook the onion with the garlic until softened.
- Add in the tomato paste, chilli flakes, beef stock & red wine, gently bring to boil then reduce to a very low simmer.
- Add back to the pan the beef strips and cook slow for about 1 hour (pan covered).
- Remove pan lid 10 minutes before serving and bring heat up a little to thicken the sauce if needed.
- Meanwhile, cook the french fries as per packet instructions.
- Place the fries on a plate, top with the cheese and melt under a hot grill for a few seconds then top with the beef strips….Serve. Oh so yummy!
It definitely makes a difference if you’ve got some good quality meat and cheese.