Its Burns Night tonight (25th January)……..Happy Burns Night Everyone!
To help celebrate we definitely had to have our haggis, neeps (turnip) & tatties (potatoes) dish. However, I fancied doing something different. I have never tried a Scotch egg before so this was what I set out to do. OMG! these were absolutely delicious and very easy to make.
300g Haggis (Good Quality one)
240g Pork Meat
1/2 bunch chopped chives
Sea Salt & black cracked pepper
5 Large eggs – (1 for the dipping)
1/2 cup flour
60g fine breadcrumbs
60g oatmeal (you can blitz scotts porridge oats into fine crumbs for this)
- Boil the eggs in a pan for about 6 minutes, then remove and place in an iced water bowl to stop the cooking process. When ready to use, peel shell.
- Mix together the Haggis, Pork Meat, Chives & salt & pepper in a bowl until combined.
- Get ready your little production line of whisked egg, flour and breadcrumbs/oatmeal mix.
- Take a handful of the haggis mixture and mould into your hand like a cup and place 1 egg on top, take another handful of haggis and mould around the egg, doing this very carefully of course. You can use your thumb to help smooth the mixture over the egg.
- Then place firstly into the flour, then the egg, then the crumb mixture.
- When ready to cook, heat a pan of oil to around 170 deg. Cook for about 7 minutes until golden brown. Remove and pat excess oil off with a tissue.
- Serve with neeps & tatties. Or whatever you like. A nice creamy whiskey sauce goes very well with this too. Find a recipe here:- Haggis Sauce
2 thoughts on “Haggis Scotch Eggs”