I have been dying to try this stain glass design for a while, so why not just in time for Christmas. Very simple to create too.
Makes about 16 biscuits
175g Plain Flour
2 tsps ginger, ground
Zest 2 oranges
100g butter, chunks
50g golden caster sugar
1-2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp oil for greaseproof paper. (to prevent sweets from sticking)
- Heat oven to 160C fan. Grease 2 large non-stick baking sheets with oil.
- Whizz the flour, ginger, zest and butter with 1⁄2 tsp salt to fine crumbs in a food processor. Pulse in the sugar and milk, then turn out and knead briefly on a floured surface until smooth. Wrap in cling film, then chill for about 30 mins.
- Flour the work surface again, then roll out the dough to the thickness of a £1 coin. Use cutters to shape. (see below for centres)
- Bake for 15-20 mins until golden brown
- Transfer to a rack to cool.
Decorate any way you like.
For Glass like Baubles:-
12 fruit flavoured boiled sweets
Place 1 sweet or ½ of sweet into the centre of the biscuits, sweets should be level with the biscuit once melted. (Should melt in the oven ok.) Allow to fully cool and harden before transferring to a rack. – Sprinkle icing if you wish or decorate.
Just be aware that if eating these the candy is very hard. (Watch your teeth)
If using for decoration on your tree, pierce a hole at the top of the cookies and thread some ribbon through and tie.