I first saw this recipe on Pumpernickelandrye, they looked far too good not to give them a try…………………oh and how I was right, they were delicious, light and very moreish. A very simple recipe that packs flavour and satisfaction. Perfect with a cuppa. (or as my boyfriend says ‘perfect on their own too!’ lol!)
They are more like a biscuit or cookie with a little crunch.
80g Granulated Sugar
3 tbsp plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
200g shredded coconut
3 egg whites
1 tsp almond extract
100g chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 160 deg.
- In a bowl mix sugar, flour and salt together then add the coconut.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg whites and almond extract until foamy but not too stiff.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dry mixture and combine until moist.
- Lay parchment paper onto a baking sheet and take 1 heaped tbsp of the mixture and place onto sheet.
- Bake in oven for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate drops in a microwave dish for about 30 seconds intervals until melted.
- Once macaroons have baked and cooled completely, dip each one into the chocolate to cover base and set aside. I lay back on tray upside down.
- Place the macaroons in the fridge for about 10-15 minutes to allow to chocolate to harden. Once hardened, remove and you can then drizzle more chocolate over the top of the bakes (if you have any left, I only had enough for 2……maybe 150g chocolate drops would be enough to do this.) Allow to harden in fridge.
- Serve with a lovely cuppa. Oh so Yummy!