I know right!….low calorie doughnuts! O.M.G! Who knew? These are inspired by Tom Kerridge, I just needed to give these a go after seeing him bake these on TV, I have to say they are amazing, the flavour is fabulous and they are extremely light and fluffy too. At ONLY 120 CALORIES per Doughnut……..why would you not?? I have to say I was in heaven this afternoon……my fav Sunday afternoon treat….Fresh Coffee & Doughnuts! (no guilt)
250g Self Raising flour
180ml milk – semi-skimmed
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp chinese five spice
1/2 tsp dried yeast
1 egg beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Gently heat the milk, butter and vanilla extract in a saucepan on hob. (do not boil)
- In a mixer, sift the flour, 1 tbsp sugar (keep 1 tbsp back for finishing), cinnamon, chinese five spice and yeast, mix together.
- Add in the egg to the flour and mix then add in the milk mixture and mix until you get a thick batter.
- If you have a doughnut tray…..brilliant! If not, (like me) spoon the mixture into a piping bag and grease a baking tray.
- Gently pipe round circles like doughnuts onto the tray.
- If you have a proving setting on your oven set or place in a warm place and allow to rise for about 2 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 210 deg and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Brush each doughnut with a little water and dip into the remaining sugar. You could also use light brown sugar and maybe add 1 tsp of cinnamon for extra flavour.
Then………devour………..and don’t feel guilty about it! Happy Days!
One thought on “Low Calorie Doughnuts”