I was so excited last week as I received my Pasta Maker Attachment for my Kitchen Aid Mixer. I decided to give Wonton wrappers a go…….well what can I say, I just love this little gadget, so easy to use and perfect wraps. I decided to cook them 2 ways, 1 boiled and 1 oven baked for a crispy texture.
Unfortunately I didn’t cut them big enough for actual wonton shapes so wonton rolls/parcels it was……lol. (lesson learned)
For the Dough
150g plain flour
1 egg beaten
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp hot water
For the Filling
1 tbsp oil
3 spring onions – chopped
250g chicken – minced
2cm ginger – finely chopped
1 clove garlic – finely chopped
2 heaped tbsp creamed corn
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce or kepcup manis (if you can get it)
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 tsp dried chillies
- Using the flat beater on your mixer, mix together flour, salt, hot water, oil and egg for about 2 minutes, change to the dough hook and knead until you get a soft silky dough, approx 8-10 minutes. Wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for about 30mins-1 hour.
- Remove from fridge and with floured hands knead for 30 secs. Cut into slices about 2cm thick.
- Attached the pasta attachment and flour, firstly put dough through on level 1 then pull through and fold then put through on level 2 twice, now turn to level 4 and turn through twice again, then finally turn to level 6 and turn through 2 or 3 times until the dough is almost see through. & repeat.
- Lay dough sheets onto a lightly floured surface and cut into rectangles
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a fry pan and gently fry the spring onions, garlic, ginger and chicken mince until browned. (if you have breast just use a processor to blitz into mince)
- Place chicken mix into the mixing bowl, then add creamed sweetcorn, sauces, chilli, sesame seeds and salt & pepper, mix for a minute until combined.
- Lay dough sheets out and take 1-2 tsp of mixture and place in centre, lightly moisten the edges with water to help seal and pull up the edges to make a wonton, make sure it is tight and no air, if you’ve cut the dough too small (like me..lol) just roll them up and pinch the sides (almost like a spring roll type parcel). Repeat
- To boil….bring a pan to boiling point reduce by 1 and place each wonton in to cook for about 3-5 minutes depending on size.
- To Bake….preheat oven to 200 deg, place on a lightly greased baking tray and bake for about 12-15 minutes.
- I served with sweet chilli sauce (shop bought)……….oh so yummy!