So Rio 2016 is upon us, to help celebrate I decided to try my hand at a Brazilian themed dinner. I was so pleased with my results, so tasty! Here you are, my recipes:-
Empanadas are little pockets of leftovers, I filled mine with Soffritto, Mince and Black beans filling.
Traditional Empanada dough is made a bit like an unsweetened tart crust: flour, salt (and any other seasonings), and butter are mixed to combine, then eggs and water are added until the dough comes together. However, I cheated for quickness and used shop bought ready rolled shortcrust pastry.
For the Soffritto:-
3 celery sticks
1 large white onion
1 tbsp olive oil
- Chop all the ingredients into very fine pieces (cubes).
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion, cook until translucent and slightly browned. Then add in the carrot and celery, reduce to a low heat and cook for approx 1 hour until its all browned. The flavour that comes from the vegetables is amazing and almost caramelised like.
- At this stage you can eat it on its own or add any other meats or flavourings.
For my filling for the Empanada’s I added to the Soffritto mix:-
200g Browned mince
200g Black beans
2 tbsp Chopped Chilli
1 tsp salt & pepper to season
When the filling is ready, you are now ready to make your Empanadas
- Roll out your pasty into circular shapes, I used a 4″ pastry cutter.
- Take a dessert spoonful of the filling and put onto pastry
- Wet you finger and wet the edges of the pastry, fold over the pastry into a half moon shape and seal with your finger or a fork.
- Place on a greaseproof paper baking tray and brush with either milk or egg wash.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 deg for 25 minutes.
Also check out my Brazilian Cheesy Bread here:- https://atomic-temporary-46532287.wpcomstaging.com/2016/08/06/brazilian-cheesy-bread/
One thought on “Empanadas with Soffritto Filling”
Pingback: Brazilian Cheesy Bread | COOKING WITH LUCE