I recently visited Florida on holiday and found my taste buds loving Waffles and Maple Syrup, a classic combo in America! Inspired by different flavours I put a twist on this fab and tasty dish.
For the chicken:–
2 Chicken Breasts
1 egg – beaten
Couple of Dashes of Tabasco Sauce
Salt & Pepper
2 Toasted Waffles
1 tsp coriander
For the Sauce:–
1 tsp olive oil
1 small garlic clove – crushed
200ml chicken stock
2-3 tbsp Maple Syrup
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp Chilli flakes or powder
1 tsp coriander
- Toast waffles and let cool, break into pieces and put into a food processor, blitz until you get fine breadcrumb pieces, lay baking sheet onto tray, pour waffle crumbs onto tray and bake in the oven for 4 mins at 180 deg.
2. Pat dry chicken pieces then season with salt and pepper. Beat egg with Tabasco sauce and pour into a flat dish, pour waffle crumbs into another flat dish and season with coriander. Take one piece of chicken breast at a time, first dipping in egg then into crumbs making sure they are fully covered. Lay back onto baking sheet.
3. Preheat oven to 180 deg and bake for approx 25-30 mins being careful not to over cook the crumb.
4. Meanwhile heat oil in a small pan and fry the garlic for about 1 min, then add chicken stock, vinegar, syrup, coriander and chilli, bring to the boil and allow to reduce by half (takes approx 5-7 mins). Put to the side to allow to thicken slightly.
5. Remove chicken from oven and serve with the spicy maple sauce……you can reheat the sauce in a microwave for 20 seconds if need to. Yum!