I just love my relaxing Sunday mornings, today the sun was out and I felt great, the sun beaming into my kitchen through my living room. It’s amazing how a little bit of sun makes you feel, especially after our really bad and long winter.
Feeling good I decided to experiment, I was sent an idea recently….omelette in bread….brilliant, easy, tasteful, quick and simple cooking. Loved this.
There are so many combinations you can do, I went with cheese and tomato.
2 Slice of Bread – Thick slice is best
2 large eggs – whisked
2 tomatoes – sliced
Gouda cheese – small handful grated
Heat a little oil in a fry pan and gently cook your filling ingredients, in this case I gently fried the tomatoes.
Cut out the centre of the bread and set aside.
Arrange the filling in the pan to the shape of the centre of the bread, then place the outside of the bread in the pan.
Gently pour some of the egg mixture into the centre of the bread covering your filling. Do this slowly so it sets. Then sprinkle the cheese on top
Allow to set slightly, then place the centre of the bread on top and flatten down. Then flip over and cook for 2 minutes.
I’m just loving my new oven from Hotpoint, it comes with a crisper plate which you preheat then cook directly on, great for crisping up food but also great for those crispy bottoms…..which means….no soggy bottoms!! lol!
I decided to try a quiche, normally you have to preheat your oven then blind bake your pastry, this little crisper plate eliminated all of that……..and in just 14 mins my quiche was baked to perfection with a crispy bottom. The plate is 12.5″ in diameter, so perfect family size too.
Makes 8 slices.
1 roll approx 250 g puff pastry
2-3 leeks – finely sliced
300 ml double cream
300 g grated Gouda cheese
8 slices of smoked bacon – chopped
Salt & pepper
1. Preheat your crisper plate (2mins) or your oven to 180 deg.
2. Fry the bacon on crisper plate for 3 mins (no oil required) OR in a fry pan with a little oil until browned.
3. Remove then lightly fry the leeks on the crisper plate with a knob of butter for 4 mins OR in a fry pan until browned slightly. Remove and put to side with bacon.
4. Beat together the cream and eggs then add in the cheese and mix
5. Lay the pastry over the crisper tray or basking dish if using the oven. (Blind bake pastry for about 10mins if using the oven)
6. Lay in the bacon and leeks evenly then pour in the cheese mixture evenly. Season with salt & pepper.
7. Trim off any ends for an even finish.
8. Cook on Dynamic Crisp setting for 14 mins. OR bake in oven for about 25-30 mins.