Pasta is such a staple food in most households and I think one of the easiest fast foods around. It can be made healthier by using the Wholewheat variety. When eaten in moderation, pasta can be part of a healthy diet. Wholewheat pasta may be a better choice for many, as it is lower in calories and carbs but higher in fiber and nutrients. However, in addition to the type of pasta you pick, what you top it with is just as important.
This dish uses Scottish Smoked Haddock, fresh from my favourite fishmongers in Pittenweem, Ryan Black, they deliver straight from the Shore to your door.
It also uses some of my fresh vegetables from my garden….yum!
I used my Steam pot for my Combi Microwave for this recipe, but if you don’t have Steamer just cook your pasta as per packet instructions. In a pan, bring some water to the boil add your vegetables and simmer for 4 minutes until softened. (you could use frozen vegetables or tinned vegetables for this too). Bring a large pan of water to the boil, bring to a simmer and add in your fish, cook for about 10 minutes.
If you have a Steam pot, add the pasta with 300ml water to the base, then your fish and vegetables onto the grid and cook on Pasta Setting for 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, make your sauce as per above recipe.
Remove fish and place onto a chopping board and remove the skin, break up into bite size pieces.
Drain your pasta and vegetables. Add the vegetables to the pasta then pour over the sauce mixture and mix through, add in the fish, mix and serve.
Oh Yum! This tastes just as good as the high calorie version, don’t believe me? Try it.
Makes 2 – 302 calories per serving (add 120 calories for 50g wholegrain rice)
2 chicken breast
1 tsp frying oil
2 tbsp curry powder
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp sea salt
10g chunk fresh ginger, grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
4 tbsp plain fat free yoghurt
1 tbsp oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
10 g chunk ginger, grated
1 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 tsp caster sugar
1 tsp sea salt
250ml cold water
2 tbsp single cream
1. Make the marinade:- mix curry powder, paprika and salt in a bowl, add ginger, garlic and yoghurt and mix well.
2. Cut chicken breast into chunks and add to marinade, mix well and leave for 1 hour in fridge at least or up to 12 hours.
3. To make the sauce: heat the oil in pan, tip in the onions and ginger and cook for 10 mins, cover. add the curry powder and cook for another 2 mins, add the tomato puree, caster sugar and salt and stir constantly for another 30 secs.
4. Pour water and simmer for 4 mins. Remove the pan from heat and blitz with hand blender until smooth.
5. Heat oil in pan, add marinated chicken and fry over medium heat or No. 7 on Induction Hob for about 5 mins until browned.
6. Pour into the chicken the masala sauce and add the cream, cook for 4 mins. Serve with some rice.