My taste buds were swaying towards a Chilli tonight, but fed up with the same old serving of Chilli mince on top of a bed of Rice, I decided to try something a bit different. It worked a treat, a mix between meatballs and chilli….Yum! At under 500 calories per portion too this dinner is perfect and nutritious.
Serves 2 portions
For the Balls
300g Lean Scottish Mine Beef
40g Basmati & Wild Rice Mix (you can just use Basmati Long grain if you wish) Cooked
1 tsp dried Garlic Granules
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Dried Coriander
For the Chilli Sauce
200ml Beef Stock
1 Red onion – diced
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
200g Tinned tomatoes
200g Red Kidney Beans, chopped
Salt & Pepper
Few dashes of Tabasco Sauce
- Cook your rice as per packet instructions and ensure it is very soft, once cooked allow to completely cool before added to your bowl of mince.
- In a bowl, add Mince, Garlic, Cumin, Coriander and season with salt & pepper. Once Rice has cooled add to bowl and mix through.
- Heat a little oil in a pan. With wet hands take small amounts of the meat mixture and roll into balls (you should get about 12 balls), place into your pan and brown all over. Remove.
- Add the onions to the pan and fry until browned, then add the tinned tomatoes, chilli flakes, kidney beans and beef stock then season with salt & pepper. Bring to the boil then reduce and bring to a simmer. At this point add back the meat and rice balls and cook covered for about 15 minutes.
- Just before you are ready to serve, add a few splashes of Tabasco sauce for that extra kick! (please take out if you don’t like it spicy hot)