Oh Yum! This was a recipe from my new fav cookbook by Pinch of nom. Quick & East to make, and vert tasty considering it is only 283 kcal per serving (excluding rice).
For the Meatballs
500g 5% fat minced scotch beef
1 tsp salt
pinch of black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
Handful of fresh parsley – finely chopped
70g reduced fat mozzarella – cut into 12 small pieces
For the Sauce
1 x 400g tin tomatoes – chopped
50g tomato paste
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp onion granules
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1 tsp red wine vinegar
Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 fan. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix all of the meatball ingredients in a bowl until well combined then divide into 12 equal pieces.
- Enclose 1 piece of mozzarella in each meat piece and roll into a ball, place meatballs onto the backing tray and bake for about 15 minutes.
- While meatballs are cooking, to make the sauce put all of the ingredients in a pan, bring to the boil and cook over a low-med heat for about 20 minutes.
- Blitz the sauce with a hand blender until smooth, season to taste and return to the pan, add the meatballs to the pan and stir well.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve. I served on a bed of wholemeal rice with peas. Yummy!