Oh Yummy! I had some left over puff pastry in the fridge, the weather was very rainy and cold outside, so nothing better than throwing together a home comfort bite to eat. I have had this recipe for scottish meat rolls for a while now, so decided to give it a go, thank you to christinas cucina .
Scottish Sausage Rolls are traditionally made with Beef, where as English sausage rolls are made with pork, which is the main difference. Then it’s your choice of spices that make it.
1 Roll of puff pastry (about 300g)
500g ground Scottish Beef
a little water
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp rainbow peppercorns
3/4 tsp dried coriander
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup of fine breadcrumbs
1 egg beaten for pastry.
- Preheat your oven to 200 deg.
- In a large bowl mix the spices, breadcrumbs and seasoning, then add in the meat. Pour in a little water and with your hands mix together, the mixture should hold together when squeezed, not too wet.
- Place the puff pastry on a floured surface and cut into 5″ approx rectangles.
- Take some of the mixture and roll into a sausage shape, lay onto the puff pastry 3/4 way down. With your finger wet the short edge of the pastry to help seal and roll up. Then with a fork crimp the seal along to seal. Make a few light cuts on top.
- Place rolls onto a greaseproof tray and brush with the egg wash.
- Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Serve with chips & beans…..my personal fav for a proper home comfort meal.