Having some Red Cabbage left over, I decided to try my hand at a spiced red cabbage as I’m having red meat tomorrow and think this will be the perfect side dish.
Makes a full 400g jar
1/2 large Red Cabbage – very finely sliced
1 bramley apple – very finely sliced
1 garlic glove – sliced finely
3 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
For the spice bag:-
5 cardamon pods
1 cinnamon stick (or 1 tsp cinnamon)
1 star anise (or you could use chinese 5 spice)
1 muslin bag (I didn’t have this, so I used a tea bag!)
- First of all preheat your oven to 130 deg.
- Place all the spice ingredients into the muslin and gather to tie together and make a bag. If you don’t have this you can use a Tea Bag, I emptied the tea out carefully by cutting the top off the T Bag, added in all the spices and tied with some thread. If using the T Bag you will need to cut up cinnamon stick or use powder.
- Place the spice bag in a casserole dish. Then layer the cabbage, garlic, apple and brown sugar.
- Then pour in the red wine vinegar. Place lid on dish and put in oven and cook for 3 hours.
- You might need to stir half way through.
- Once finish, remove and serve. Or let cool and place in fridge for next day or later.