That’s when you know they are homemade when they aren’t quite perfectly put together…..Ooops!, my second one, the top shrunk a bit, however, they are still very, very tasty!
Makes 2 – 9.5cm pies
400g Scottish Stewing Steak
Pre-rolled shortcrust pastry
1 red onion – sliced
1 carrot – sliced
400ml Beef Stock
2 tbsp gravy granules
salt & pepper
1 tsp Thyme
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 deg, or if you have a pastry setting, set that.
- Press the pastry into 2 9.5cm pie tins, and blind bake for 10 mins. Leaving some pastry aside for your top. Remove and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, brown your steak in a little olive oil in a pan and season with salt & pepper.
- Add in the onion and brown, then add in the carrot, beef stock and bay leaf, bring to the boil, then simmer for 2 hours until meat is tender.
- Stir in the gravy granules the meat pot to thicken up the sauce.
- Now fill up your pastry cups with the meat mixture and sprinkle some thyme on top.
- Cut out 2 round lids from pastry and press onto bases making sure you press the sides and attached to the base. Brush with a little egg.
- Bake in an oven at 180 deg for 30 mins.
- Remove from tins, and serve….Yummy!