400g Scottish stewing steak cubed
2 tbsp flour
8 shallots peeled, halved
2 carrots sliced
1 red pepper
1tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove chopped finely
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp thyme
1 bouquet garnish
Salt and pepper to taste
400ml beef stock
1/2 bottle red wine (red burgandy, pinot noir or a cotes du rhone)
1. Coat steak cubes with flour and brown in a pan with olive oil. Approx 5 minutes.
2. Remove with slotted spoon. Fry shallots until coloured, add carrots, peppers and mushrooms fry for about 2-3mins then add meat back to pan.
3. Add tomato paste, garlic and season, cook for further 1 min.
4. Add wine and beef stock with bouquet garnish and thyme, bring to boil then simmer for approx 3 hours until meat is tender.
5. Meanwhile 30 mins before ready, boil some potatoes in a pan for 20 mins until softened. Remove from heat add a knob of butter and 50ml milk or cream.
6. If sauce needs thickened, mix in some cornflour to thicken.
7. Serve all on a plate with some crusty bread to soak up gravy. Oh! and a wee glass of the left over wine…yum…yum!!