Having Fun in the Kitchen today, have been dying to try this for a while now. Certainly cheered me up.
RAINBOW LAYER CAKE
350g Plain Flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites
300 g caster sugar
170g butter softened
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
food colouring of choice
500g icing sugar sifted
4-5 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla paste/extract
1. Preheat oven to 180 deg on Multilevel mode and grease 5-6 cake tins and line with parchment paper. 18cm tins.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
3. In separate bowl beat egg whites until foamy, then add 100g of caster sugar gradually, continue beating until soft peaks form
4. Beat butter until smooth in separate bowl, gradually add remaining caster sugar and cream together until fluffy.
5. Add sifted ingredients alternately with milk in a small amount beating until smooth. Add in vanilla. Add in egg whites and fold in gently till no streaks of eggs appear.
6. Divide mixture into separate bowls 5-6, add food colouring to each and mix well.
7. Put into oven on shelf levels 1,3,5 – can fit 2 ins on each level and bake for about 15-20 mins or until skewer runs clear when inserted, then remove and cool in tins.
8. To make the icing, beat butter until fluffy, gradually add half of the icing sugar beating well. Slowly beat in the half of the milk and vanilla. Slowly beat in remaining icing sugar adding milk if needed to desired consistency. I used 5 tablespoons.
9. Once cakes are cooled remove from tins and place first layer on a cake plate, cover top with the icing thinly, add second layer, then add icing layer etc, etc. Finally use remaining icing to cover top and sides of cake and smooth with palette knife or spatula. Decorate to your desire.