I love Strawberry season, big juicy fresh strawberries that just melt in your mouth….delicious!
Traditionally, the Scottish strawberry season only lasted about six weeks in summer, from June to July, however now we can get homegrown strawberries almost eight months of the year thanks to advancements in polytunnel technology.
Scottish Strawberries are famously some of the best in the world, but why? The temperate climate in Scotland allows the berries to have longer daylight hours but without the same levels of heat. This allows the berries to ripen slower so they produce more sugar and you get a sweeter berry.
Strawberries are one of the most versatile ingredients available to us, whether we eat them as they are, put them in desserts, muffins, a salad or even as a puree or compote to accompany a steak, there are so many ways we can eat them. But for this post, I am going to show you how to make a super delicious and creamy cheesecake. Yum!
Everything you need for a perfect summer dessert.
For the Crust
1 packet of Biscuits – (Digestives, Biscoff even Oreo’s if you like – whichever you prefer)
2 Tbsp Butter , melted
For the Strawberry Layer
1 packet of Strawberry Jelly (I used Hartley’s – my personal favourite)
100ml Boiling water
1 Small Tub Strawberry Greek Yoghurt (80-100g)
200ml Whipping Cream
150g Diced Fresh Strawberries
For the Cheesecake Layer
80g Unsalted Butter
120g Icing Sugar
200g Cream Cheese (I use Philadelphia – no other compares for me)
100ml Whipping Cream
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
For the Topping:-
Handful of Sliced Strawberries
100-200g White Chocolate Shavings (as much as you want really)
- Blitz the biscuits in a processor, so they resemble fine crumbs. Tip into a bowl and pour over the melted butter and mix through until all moist. Press into a 9 x 13 x 2″ springform tin and place in the freezer while you make the next layer.
- In a large bowl dissolve the Jelly with the boiling water, allow to cool slightly.
- Whisk up the whipping cream until light and fluffy. Whisk into the Jelly the Greek Yoghurt and fold in your whipped cream and diced strawberries. Pour on top of the biscuit layer and place in the freezer to set. (about 45-60 mins)
- Meanwhile, make your cheesecake topping, Beat together the butter, icing sugar, cream cheese and vanilla essence. Whip up your cream and fold into mixture.
- Smooth over the Jelly layer once set and place back in the freezer for a further 30 mins to firm. Transfer to the fridge and allow to fully set overnight.
- Before serving, sprinkle the white chocolate shavings over the top and place the sliced strawberries around the edge to finish.
- Slice and Enjoy!
If you love Cheesecake, you might enjoy my Lime Cheesecake too…..go take a wee look. https://theweecaledoniancook.com/2021/07/04/biscoff-lime-cheesecake/