I have seen Pizza Skulls on social media and gave me the idea to make these for my Horror theme Hogmany coming up. I changed it from Pizza filling to a Chilli Con Carne filling. These are amazing and so much fun too. I got my pan from Nordic Ware and opted for Black & Red dough too using Red Malt flour and Activated Charcoal powder.
For the Pizza Dough (I made extra, which I stored for later use)
3 x 350g Wholemeal Bread Flour (you can use strong white too)
3 x 1 tsp salt
3 x 1 tsp caster sugar
3 x 3 tsp baking powder
3 x 170ml warm water
20g Red Malt Flour, plus 1 tsp red food colouring for the Red
3 tbsp charcoal powder plus 1 tsp black food colouring for the Black
- Mix everything using a mixer until it come together like dough, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for a couple of hours. Mix 3 lots ie: plain, black & Red
- Once ready to use, cut amount you need and store the rest. Place on a floured surface and roll out, not too thing or too thick. It will be stretchy, just keep stretching it until you have the size you need. Approx 7 x 4″
- Brush your skull pan with melted butter and lay the dough into each skull pressing gently. Place the filling in and fold over the excess dough, if you have too much just trim.
For the Chilli
350g Scottish Beef Mince
1 Red onion, finely chopped
1 Red pepper, finely chopped
1 tsp garlic granules
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried chilli flakes (omit if you don’t like it too hot)
2 tsp chilli powder
200g Tin tomatoes
200g Kidney beans
200ml beef stock
light fry oil
Salt & pepper to taste
Grated Cheese of your choice.
- Heat the fry oil on medium to high heat
- Fry the onions and pepper with the garlic until softened
- Add the beef and brown
- Add in chilli powder, cumin, salt & pepper with chilli flakes (if using) mix through to coat
- Add in the tin tomatoes, kidney beans and stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes cover. The uncovered for 10 minutes to thicken sauce. Allow to cool.
Once skulls are filled, refrigerate for 30 minutes then bake at 200 deg for 25 minutes. Serve.