My taste buds were swaying towards a Chilli tonight, but fed up with the same old serving of Chilli mince on top of a bed of Rice, I decided to try something a bit different. It worked a treat, a mix between meatballs and chilli….Yum! At under 500 calories per portion too this dinner is perfect and nutritious.
Serves 2 portions
For the Balls
300g Lean Scottish Mine Beef
40g Basmati & Wild Rice Mix (you can just use Basmati Long grain if you wish) Cooked
1 tsp dried Garlic Granules
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Dried Coriander
For the Chilli Sauce
200ml Beef Stock
1 Red onion – diced
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
200g Tinned tomatoes
200g Red Kidney Beans, chopped
Salt & Pepper
Few dashes of Tabasco Sauce
- Cook your rice as per packet instructions and ensure it is very soft, once cooked allow to completely cool before added to your bowl of mince.
- In a bowl, add Mince, Garlic, Cumin, Coriander and season with salt & pepper. Once Rice has cooled add to bowl and mix through.
- Heat a little oil in a pan. With wet hands take small amounts of the meat mixture and roll into balls (you should get about 12 balls), place into your pan and brown all over. Remove.
- Add the onions to the pan and fry until browned, then add the tinned tomatoes, chilli flakes, kidney beans and beef stock then season with salt & pepper. Bring to the boil then reduce and bring to a simmer. At this point add back the meat and rice balls and cook covered for about 15 minutes.
- Just before you are ready to serve, add a few splashes of Tabasco sauce for that extra kick! (please take out if you don’t like it spicy hot)
I have seen Pizza Skulls on social media and gave me the idea to make these for my Horror theme Hogmany coming up. I changed it from Pizza filling to a Chilli Con Carne filling. These are amazing and so much fun too. I got my pan from Nordic Ware and opted for Black & Red dough too using Red Malt flour and Activated Charcoal powder.
For the Pizza Dough (I made extra, which I stored for later use)
3 x 350g Wholemeal Bread Flour (you can use strong white too)
3 x 1 tsp salt
3 x 1 tsp caster sugar
3 x 3 tsp baking powder
3 x 170ml warm water
20g Red Malt Flour, plus 1 tsp red food colouring for the Red
3 tbsp charcoal powder plus 1 tsp black food colouring for the Black
- Mix everything using a mixer until it come together like dough, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for a couple of hours. Mix 3 lots ie: plain, black & Red
- Once ready to use, cut amount you need and store the rest. Place on a floured surface and roll out, not too thing or too thick. It will be stretchy, just keep stretching it until you have the size you need. Approx 7 x 4″
- Brush your skull pan with melted butter and lay the dough into each skull pressing gently. Place the filling in and fold over the excess dough, if you have too much just trim.
For the Chilli
350g Scottish Beef Mince
1 Red onion, finely chopped
1 Red pepper, finely chopped
1 tsp garlic granules
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried chilli flakes (omit if you don’t like it too hot)
2 tsp chilli powder
200g Tin tomatoes
200g Kidney beans
200ml beef stock
light fry oil
Salt & pepper to taste
Grated Cheese of your choice.
- Heat the fry oil on medium to high heat
- Fry the onions and pepper with the garlic until softened
- Add the beef and brown
- Add in chilli powder, cumin, salt & pepper with chilli flakes (if using) mix through to coat
- Add in the tin tomatoes, kidney beans and stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes cover. The uncovered for 10 minutes to thicken sauce. Allow to cool.
Once skulls are filled, refrigerate for 30 minutes then bake at 200 deg for 25 minutes. Serve.